Here is a delicious cupcake recipe.
Red Velvet Cupcakes
* 140 g/5 oz plain flour
* 1½ tbsp cocoa powder
* ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
* ½ tsp baking powder
* pinch of salt
* 120 ml/4 fl oz buttermilk
* 1 tsp vinegar
* ½ tsp vanilla extract
* 1tsp red food colouring
* 55 g/2 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
* 170 g/6 oz sugar
* 2 eggs
For the icing
* 110 g/4 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
* 110 g/4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
* 450 g/1 lb icing sugar, sifted
* ½ vanilla pod
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* coloured sprinkles, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line a 12-hole non-stick muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate, baking powder (or cream of tartar), and salt into a medium bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla, and food colouring together until blended.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after
each addition. Beat in the flour mixture, a third at a time, alternating with a third of the buttermilk mixture,
until all is mixed in.
4. Divide the mixture between the paper cases. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 20 minutes until
springy to the touch. Remove and turn the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool.
5. To make the icing, beat the butter and cheese until creamy. Add the icing sugar and beat until combined.
Split the half vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds into the icing. Add the vanilla.
6. Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle and ice the cupcakes, starting from the outside and
working in towards the middle. Decorate with coloured sprinkles.